FAQs Health


Q. I’m really worried that I might be pregnant and I’m scared to tell anyone.

A. Take a pregnancy test as soon as possible. You have a right to free confidential advice from your local young person’s health advice clinic or your G.P. There may also be a local walk-in health centre near you. It’s a very good idea to have a test done by a professional service so that you can get advice and support about what to do next.

Talk to an adult you can trust, like a The Countryside Foundation Personal Adviser or a School Health Adviser. They will help you to make sense of what is happening to you.

Whatever the results, try not to worry because there is a lot of support available to you. Your Personal Adviser can discuss your options with you and he/she can help you find other people who can advise and support you too.

Look at the Health page on this website where you’ll find some useful links to organisations and further advice.

Q. I’m 14 and have a boyfriend who is 15. We’ve been going out together for six months and he wants to take things further and have sex. I don’t know what to do – I do love him very much but I’m so confused.

A. First, you don’t have to do anything you are not comfortable with, however much you feel pressured. Only have sex if and when you want to. Remember, the legal age is 16 so many young people do delay having sex until they are at least 16. Whatever you decide, take control, be prepared and be responsible.

You need to take advice about contraception and protect yourself from getting pregnant and from sexually transmitted infections.

Respect yourself and your own feelings and find out the facts. Check out the Health page on this website for useful links.